TO SEE – TO DO
… No less than 20 monuments to visit, making Perpignan a genuine open-air museum.
In the city centre, the ones not to be missed are:
– The PALACE OF THE KINGS OF MAJORCABuilt right in the heart of the city, it overlooks Perpignan from a hill. This superb palace from the 13th century was the centre of the short-lived Kingdom of Majorca for nearly a century.
- The CASTILLET, which was successively a castle, a city entranceway and a prison.
- The LOGE DE MER , built in 1397, was once a commodity market and the seat of the consulate of the sea. Today it is the Tourist Office.
- TheHOTEL DE VILLE (city hall) built during the 13th century, then during the 16th and 17th centuries, has a typical Roussillon architectural style (the patio has a statue by Maillol and its incredible wedding hall should be visited) and the DELEGATION PALACE.
- The CATHEDRAL of SAINT JOHN THE BAPTIST which started being built in 1324 and then again during the 15th century and the cloister-cemetery of Saint-Jean, called Campo Santo since its restoration, was built in the first quarter of the 14th century.
- TheHOTEL PAMS, former private mansion which belonged to Pierre Bardou, son of the founder of the J.O.B cigarette paper company, transformed by Jules Pams, his son-in-law, who gave it an art nouveau touch, making it a little gem of Romanticism. Special mention for its luxurious hidden courtyard.
Find other monuments to visit on: https://www.perpignantourisme.com/decouvrir/voir-faire/monuments
– HYACINTHE RIGAUD ART MUSEUM. Located in two private mansions of the city centre, the Rigaud Museum collections display an overview of Perpignan history from the 15th to the 20th century (the Trinity altarpiece, works by Hyacinthe Rigaud, Maillol, Picasso, Dufy and Lurcat. Excellent temporary exhibits from June to November.
more info: http://www.musee-rigaud.fr/ 04.68.66.19.83
– MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY 350 m² of permanent exhibits with rare or extinct animals from the Eastern Pyrenees region, birds, large mammals, Pyrenees-specific fauna, invertebrates (arthropods) and coral, crocodiles, oceanic and African ancestral objects as well as an Egyptian mummy in its ornate stone coffin!
– THE JOSEPH PUIG MUSEUM OF COINS OF MEDALS This museum brings together an exceptional collection of antique, modern and contemporary coins as well as a generous collection of Catalan and Roussillon coins.
– SANT VICENS CERAMICS The centre has an exhibition area and boutique where 25 creators have left their artistic touch, including Jean Lurçat. Sant Vicens is a former wine-making mas (a traditional home built with local stone) from the 17th century surrounded by a Mediterranean-inspired garden. During the Christmas period there is a live catalan nativity scene.
more info: http://www.santvicens.fr/ 04.68.50.02.18
Find other museums to visit on: https://www.perpignantourisme.com/decouvrir/voir-faire/musees
Parks and Gardens
Around the Avenue Torcatis there is a landscaped garden strewn with exotic plant species and flowers where visitors can admire the fauna and flora. Intergenerational swings, sports equipment and relaxation areas as well as charming bar make it a very enjoyable place to spend some time.
BIR HAKEIM PARK
The Bir-Hakeim Park is an emblematic, lush green haven but also a historic place with its large plane trees planted during the 19th century. A peaceful and shady sanctuary in the heart of the city! A carousel and large play area make it ideal for families to relax and have some fun.
HISTORIC TOURS Every Saturday at 3:30pm/ Wednesdays and Saturdays at 4:30pm in July and August. Visit the historic centre of Perpignan and have a first-hand tour with a tourist guide.
SURPRISE VISITS, CINE-BALADE (MOVIE TOURS), PARENT-CHILD ARTISTIC WORKSHOPS, CLUEDO, DELICIOUS OUTDOORS PATIOS GOURMANDS… Gourmet, historical and cultural, artistic, musical... Tasty, historic, cultural, artistic, musical … The Tourist Office walks and guided tours are available throughout the seasons with varied themes, allowing young and old to find something they love. Check out the program and reserve online at: https://www.perpignantourisme.com/decouvrir/voir-faire/nos-balades-et-visites-guidees
Place de la Loge
+33 (0)4 66 68 30 30